Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Business Side of the WooWoo Life

I've decided that this is the year that I prioritize growth. This means, growth for my business, and for my own intuitive self (because, after all, this is my career and so it's like anyone who has to keep up with the latest in their own field - training to get better at what I do is part of the job. The nice thing is that this is the sort of training that benefits my whole being, not just the biz.) And, Universe, just to be clear, my goals for growth do not include my physical body girth nor weight. Thank you.

I think that a lot of people who work in holistic or intuitive work face the same thing. We have gifts to share. We have a passion for sharing them. We love what we do. And we have no business training. 

I've flown my business by the seat of my pants, powered by a very active creative drive, fueled by a passion and deep-seated belief that this is what I'm here to do. And, this process - learning on the fly (are you catching my airplane analogy here?) has been a little unsteady, but gotten me up in the air. Trouble is, it's created a turbulent flight. I get a great idea, and I almost immediately go for it. Then I see where it takes me. Sometimes, it falls flat. Not what I expected. Other times, it becomes a roller coaster - it works sporadically, with groups here and there enjoying the new idea, and quiet lulls in between that seem too quiet. I've realized that my income stream is making me a little motion sick. I started craving a smoother flight.

Actually, as I sit here thinking about it, I sometimes feel like running my business feels I'm Phoebe from the show Friends doing this:


While running in my own way and just going in any crazy direction I'm pulled feels fun and freeing, it also has been not so fun in ways - like when I need money and have no idea what is the best thing to do next.

So, I've been working with an awesome intuitive business coach.  She calls herself a marketing strategist, writer, speaker, thought leader and divinely-connected creative professional, and basically she has been helping me understand smart marketing strategies, align my goals, and create a real set of strategies and steps to meet them. Her name is Beth Grant. I highly recommend her services. I've also been working with Leonie Dawson's Create Your Amazing Year business planner calendar. Together with Beth's training, it's helped me to see running a business in a new way. 

Now I'm learning about things like pipeline strategies, effective marketing, personal marketing archtypes (I'm a Truth Guide), long range planning and short range steps to getting there. Wow. Who knew? I can still be creative, but I'm learning to select my ideas in ways that I can see they clearly fit into these steps, and shelve the others for later. I sometimes still want to do it all and do it now, but these lessons are teaching me some structure to fit my wild creativity into. 


I'm also proud to say that I've meditated three days in a row. Don't laugh. That's pretty significant for me. I'm actually enjoying this particular meditation - it's a guided 6-step meditation that helps with manifesting goals and it seems to fit in nicely from an energetic perspective with all of my "real-world" business building and personal growth goals that I'm working on. It takes 20 minutes. It's called Envisioning Meditation. It was free for me, so I'm going to share it here. I've also been accepted (after an application and interview) as one of the dozen to attend the Consciousness Research & Training Seminar for five days in April, where I'll learn a psychic healing technique developed by Dr. Lawrence LeShan. He's the author of one of my most favorite books, The Medium, the Mystic, and the Physicist, as well as 21 other books, including How to Meditate.

Through setting all of my goals and working on them, I'm learning that strategy and structure is important, even for us intuitive, passionate lightworkers who just want to offer our gifts to as many people who need them as we can. And I'm also learning that the inner work of energetically aligning with the visions and goals is part of the process of making them happen.

Here's to a BIG 2014!


2 comments:

CJ Kennedy said...

wishing you well on your journey

ixoye said...

I can identify with that totally, God Bless.